Sunday, August 19, 2012

Women We Love

I'm a day behind schedule, but this one's going to be a 2-weeker, so there's plenty of time.
Open 8/19/12 through 9/1/12

Inspired by Women We Love
This week, take inspiration from the women in your life- your mother, sisters, friends, mentors, aunts, cousins, anyone you know in person. We may not all have fashionista friends, but we certainly have people we think of when we're out shopping and come across items that are so them. Think about what colors, patterns, shapes, styles and themes make you think of the women you love and try to see your jewelry supplies through their eyes. What would they be drawn to?

Leave a link in the comments to your "Women We Love" creations, and be sure to tell us a bit about the woman who inspired the piece. I'm making this one a two-week challenge for those of us who can't decide on just one lady to model a piece after. I'll show off your work (as well as my own) on the first of next month before announcing the next prompt!
---------------------------------------
Last week's prompt was to make over an old piece. Again, I was the only participant. Don't make me have to say that 3 weeks in a row, people! Play along with me!

I took apart a necklace leftover from a collection I made for Valentine's day, and made 4 new pieces out of it, adding new elements and altering some of the old ones.

Notes on each piece~

All the beads on the original necklace are handmade (by me) out of polymer clay.

1. I took 2 of the disc beads that were just spacers on the original necklace (and other pieces in the collection) and carved designs into them, then paired them the spotted red beads and some vintage glass waved discs.

2. I transfer printed a bunch of vintage Valentine images onto clay to make lozenge-shaped beads for the collection. This one that remained was not Valentine-specific, so I was able to really update it by adding some carved texture and a contrasting green around the edges. I added wire and a ton of danglies (including a hand-painted bead, a little plastic heart bead I've had since I was 5, vintage buttons, and a fantastic vintage heart key) to upgrade it from bead to pendant. I haven't created the rest of the necklace to go with it, but I plan to have it clasp with a hook in the front.

3. Bracelet # 1- Pink and white beads from the original necklace along with oxidized silver beads, wood disc beads, a large oxidized lobster clasp, translucent pink glass dangles, and antique pink glass rectangle beads.

4. Bracelet # 2- Red, yellow and pink beads from the original necklace with added coral cube beads, bronze chain, glass beads and a wooden button clasp.



3 comments:

  1. I love what you did with the circus necklace and valentine beads. Looks amazing. I would like to contribute something I did.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete