Thursday, April 5, 2012

What do ya do-oo-ooh with a Doodlebead?

I hope you all just read the title of this post to the tune of the Klondike bar jingle. If you didn't, go back and read it again. Done? Ok. Proceed.

I started making my Doodlebeads (seen up in the banner here and on our shop, and on our Facebook page, and as our user icon on on Flickr) last Fall. They're made from scraps of other projects; last bits of custom mixed colors, errant cane slices, and crumbly bits that got left under my clay machine. Each one is 100% unique, unplanned, and quirky. They're all kinds of wonky shapes and many have my fingerprints in them, but it all adds to their charm. Up until recently I had done nothing with them but sell a few and sit around admiring the rest, sorting and resorting them into groups and putting them in my pockets to clack around while I work at my table. But, finally last week I made use of one. I found a really unique pink enameled snake chain at an antique store and immediately envisioned what I could make with it, paired with one of my Doodlebeads. So, I came home and made it happen.

I'm very happy with this piece. I think it does my Doodlebead justice. I added amethyst beads and used dark annealed steel wire and some distressing on the chain to add a bit of an industrial feel to it. I love the juxtaposition of bright colors and black skritchy-scratchy grunginess. It makes me think of what my Malibu Barbie accessories might look like nowadays, aged and forgotten, wherever they are. I call it Blush and Begrime.

It also clasps in the front with this toggle that I hammered out in the rain, giggling at the splashes I was making. If you haven't gathered this already, let it be known that I freakin love making jewelry. Every second of it. Except, perhaps, for when I do things like drilling a hole in my thumb instead of the bead I'm holding. That didn't happen with this, though. This piece was all fun and no injuries.

So, the urge to create with Doodlebeads must be contagious, because this morning I got a note from Erin Prais-Hintz of Tesori Trovati, telling me that she, too, had finally found a home for one of the Doodlebeads she bought last December.

This is so exciting to me! I hardly recognize my own claywork here, because she's taken it in a direction I never would have dreamed up in a million years. Those wire coils really steal the show and accurately illustrate the piece's title, "Cosmic Jellyfish". You can read her own description of this and other recent creations here, on her blog.

I also put some more Doodlebeads up for sale in the shop today (click the images to go to their listings)-

 
Just a note- we sold out of our Red-Eyed Rabbit beads yesterday and I didn't rush to make more because I'm guessing that anyone who wanted them for Easter has already snagged some up. Plus, honestly I'm a little bunnied out right now- even though Easter still isn't till Sunday. However, if anyone still wants some, let me know and I'll get my butt in gear. I also have some black ones with black gemstone eyes and white antiquing hanging around unlisted that I can put up for sale if anyone's interested. If no one voices an interest, I'll have both versions up in the shop after Easter passes.

Here's a little ditty from the Buffy musical episode for anyone else who's getting sick of bunnies everywhere right now-




Actually, now that I think of it, Buffy's to blame for the fact that eggs creep me out, too.



Decade late spoiler alert: There's a baby demon in there!




1 comment:

  1. Love it! Thanks for the blog tag! I think your Doodlebeads are so awesome. I will be back for more! The fact that you used something that would otherwise go unnoticed and possibly wasted is what makes them special. I love the color combos and the graffiti quality to the marks. Keep 'em coming Miss Jenna!
    Enjoy the day.
    Erin

    ReplyDelete