Friday, April 20, 2012

Masks

I've been really into tribal masks lately, and have been collecting pictures of them on Pinterest. I even have some costume/theatrical/fantasy type masks in there too. Any kind of mask that suits my fancy. So, today I was looking through them and I thought to myself, "Self, wouldn't it be cool if you designed some pendants by mixing up the features from masks from different cultures?" And then I said, "Why yes, self, that would be both aesthetically pleasing and meaningfully symbolic".

So, I made some sketches.


And then I did some sculpting.

And then I made some molds.



And then I cast some pendants!

I'm cracking up right now because I just looked at all their little open mouths and imagined them singing like a barber shop quartet. Or sextet. Is that a word? You know what I mean- 6 of them. Singing. Doowah-dooo.

Also, new doodlebeads in the shop!

Royal Doodlebead Duo
These are the first doodlebeads I've glazed with liquid polymer. I wasn't sure the super shiny finish would go with the style, but...me likey. You likey?

Lately I've been upholding a deal with myself (and you folks) to list and blog daily, but I have to take a break from sitting in front of the computer so much. I'm taking the weekend off from my deal to do some inventory, clean up the mess accumulating around me, and see the outside world. I'll be back on Monday with new goodies. Happy weekend!











2 comments:

  1. Sextet is the word and they're ADORABLE.
    I love that you showed us the process.

    ReplyDelete