Tuesday, March 13, 2012

March's ABS challenge

I was so excited to see that this month’s challenge centered around this Van Gogh painting. I am not necessarily crazy about most of history’s renowned artists, but I make a very pointed exception for Van Gogh. It is apparent from his work and his life story that he did art because of a true and humble love of the process, and I have a huge respect for that.


For more info on this piece, check out the Art Bead Scene entry for this challenge.


Painting/Drawing/Traditional 2-D art is my first love and the basis for all my creative endeavors. Because of this, I looked at this painting and the actual subject matter completely escaped my attention. I focused entirely on colors and shapes and paint strokes.



I made the pendant by taking several transfers of parts of the painting, cutting them up and piecing them back together, then drawing on top to bring out the colors. Then I strung it with some pale blue glass beads to represent the color of the vast area of sky in the painting, red wooden discs to mimic the wheels on the carts in the painting, and plenty of silk in that Prussian blue that Van Gogh used so much.


My little Van Gogh finger puppet hung out with me while I worked. I call him Vinnie. He's got some smoof on his forehead because sometimes my dog thinks he's her "baby".



Lastly, I feel I have to include this clip of the Doctor Who episode where the doctor and Amy bring Van Gogh to current day to visit an exhibit of his work. It makes me cry every time.

3 comments:

  1. Your creation is beautiful.. and .. That was one of my favorite episodes of Dr Who...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a beautiful piece...I just love the creativity and design of your pendant.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's beautiful. I love the delicate transfer work you've done. And yes, I too had a little weep at that clip...and I don't even like Doctor Who!

    ReplyDelete