Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Bead Table Wednesday: Treasures and Atrocities

Thrift and second hand stores sometimes package up all their broken/unsellable jewelry and sell it in a bunch for super cheap. These deals are usually snatched up pretty quick, so when I get my hands on one, I feel like it's my lucky day. Sometimes the unusable stuff far outweighs the usable, but it still works out to be worth it, and going through the package is always exciting.

Monday was my lucky day, complete with treasures, and a few....um... not treasures.

I apologize for the incorrect orientation of photos.
My iphone and my computer are in a fight right now and I just don't feel like getting in the middle of it.

These wooden bead necklaces were in great condition. It seems to me they could be sold as-is for plenty more than the 25 cents I paid for the whole bunch. But, I think someone working at my local thrift store has something against wooden beads and deems them worthless, which would explain why I have salvaged so damn many of them. I like these, though. The small ones will make great little spacers and I'm sure the long ones will find a home in some rustic or tribal jewelry. I had to toss out a few of them, though, because they were burnt to a crisp. How did that happen? My theory is that it was a birthday candle mishap. You can imagine it, right? You're leaning over, taking a deep breath while everyone is singing "....tooooo yoooooouuu" and poof- your wooden necklace is on fire and a story has been born that will be told for many birthdays to come. It could happen.


These 2 pieces were taken off a filthy hemp rope necklace. I didn't want to touch it, so I used pliers and tweezers and went at it like I was doing an autopsy. The lampwork piece is really cool, but totally not the Honey Bijou style. I'll keep it around, though. It could definitely be a treasure to someone else. I'm more excited about the Kroner. That's equivalent to 75 cents. I just got paid back 3-fold!



These are neat. They're definitely hand-painted if not entirely handmade. Together they're too much, but in separate things they could be great. The eagle needs a little distressing or something.

There were some plastic and glass beads, enameled charms and single earrings in the bunch, too, but nothing too exciting.

This, however, I have to show.


I am all for using unusual materials in jewelry, but let this necklace be a lesson that it is possible to get overly crafty in your jewelry designs. This necklace has an ocean's worth of seashells, wood beads, paper beads, cheapy metal beads, varnished peach pits, and some other material that looks somewhat like cheese. Let's get a closer look at those, shall we?


What. The. Frack. Is. That? I was afraid to touch them, but eventually got up the courage and discovered they are hard. OK, not cheese. My best guess is that it's that stuff made in elementary school out of wonder bread and glue, painted with a semi-transparent cheese-like color. I feel kind of bad making fun of someone's hard work, but hey, I've done similar things. I get caught up in the fun of making something and don't realize until after I've proudly admired it for a while that it's actually unattractive and has no practical use.

But yeah, the cheese beads went immediately into the trash. I wanted them out of my house before they hatched open and baby aliens came out.

Be sure to check out the Bead Table Wednesday Flickr group to see what's going on on other bead tables today.

2 comments:

  1. What interesting finds! I can totally relate to you, feeling like you need tweezers to touch some of the finds that are dug up while going through flea markets. You made me laugh about the cheese beads!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great finds, especially those long wood beads. The animal beads might be made in Peru.

    ReplyDelete