Saturday, November 12, 2011

Art Deco Hair Acessories

Have you ever noticed how as soon as a trend or style catches your eye, it seems to suddenly pop up everywhere? That's what's been going on with me and Art Deco fashion. I've always liked the style, but it seems to suddenly be playing a big role in the world around me.

I think it first caught my eye in the HBO show, Boardwalk Empire.I found myself drooling over the decadent beaded dresses and eye catching hair accessories worn by the ladies of the cast.

Photo credit: Boardwalk Empire, HBO, image from stylecheckup.com

Then a couple weeks back one of my favorite shows, The Vampire Diaries, started having flashback scenes to the 1920's. More gorgeous hair accessories!


Photo credit: The Vampire Diaries, CW. Screencaptures by homeofthenutty.com, edited by me.

So, then I had to ask myself my favorite question; "How can I make something like that?" I first took a look at what kind of handmade Art Deco hair accessories were already available on Etsy, and there were plenty of ornately beaded, beautiful pieces. However, I like to offer jewelry and accessories that you don't have to wait for a special occasion to wear. I decided on making some everyday wearable pieces out of polymer clay filigree. I think I succeeded in creating a couple of hair accessories that evoke the feeling of the 20's, while still fitting in with today's styles, both casual and dressy. What do you think? Shall I make more?








1 comment:

  1. Art Deco style items are at the top of my favorites list, when it comes to fashion accessories and decorative style elements. Your hair accessories are lovely!
    I wanted to thank you for the link to Polyvore. I appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete